The way this blog is going to work is that I will post a poem that I have written either new or old and then above it I will give my prose interpretation of it. My interpretation is not the "right" one, everybody "sees" things from their own perspective.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"ODE TO AN OUTHOUSE"

I first wrote this poem a little more than twenty years ago. I included it in my first book, "Behind The Veil". It was my first favorite poem. The inspiration for this poem came from my work at the Elkins Mountain School, a residential behavioral treatment center for young boys. There I constantly observed the tragedy of young lives corrupted by their environment.


ODE TO AN OUTHOUSE


Built new from old boards
it has seen many seasons change,
even though this is its first winter.

The odor is strong but it
smells not of itself. Others have
contaminated its bowels and beyond.

Not part of the house, it must
stand alone and remain behind.
No vision, no thought.

Labeled a relic, we demand it must
be replaced with a shiny porcelain jewel.
Progress knows no compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment